Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Don't just eat your sugar, wear it! : 3 Agave Sugar Scrubs

I'll tell you why I love scrubs of any kind.  It's because I feel thinner when my fat is exfoliated. 
{There, I said it.}
3 agave sugar scrub recipes: french roast, ginger, and orange spice
Really, if you slough off a little dry skin, you might just *be* a nanometer or two thinner.  Sign me up!

3 agave sugar scrub recipes: french roast, ginger, and orange spice

I have three sugar scrub recipes for you: French Roast-Agave, Ginger-Agave, and Orange Spice-Agave...

...sugar scrubs cannot be easier to make. I used raw cane and turbinado sugars in all of them because of their large crystals, but you could use regular granulated or brown sugars, too.  3 agave sugar scrub recipes: french roast, ginger, and orange spice
You'll want to lay out all of your ingredients and spill them *just so* (if you are a total dork like me).

agave sugar scrub wet photo agavesugarscrub2of11.jpg
Besides sugar, all of the scrubs also contain:

  1. agave: I've already talked about an agave body oil that I LOVE; I figured it would be good in a scrub as well.  The Aztecs used it to heal skin infections.
  2. grapeseed oil: moisturizing and rumored to tighten skin
  3. coconut oil: really, can you make anything nowadays without coconut oil, water, milk, or butter?  I think not.  More moisture for the skin.
A link to the printable recipes is below.  Just remember, you really cannot screw these up.  You're not going to eat it, so if it looks a little too heavy on the oil, add in some more sugar.  Want it a little more fragrant, add in some more extract or spices...play around.  I predict you'll become addicted to making them!
print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg

French Roast-Agave Sugar Scrub


1 & 1/2 cups ground coffee (French roast or otherwise)
3/4 cup turbinado sugar
3/4 cup raw cane sugar
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ginger-Agave Sugar Scrub


1 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup agave
1 & 1/2 TBSP ground ginger


Orange Spice-Agave Sugar Scrub


1 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup agave
2 teaspoons pure orange extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves


Mix all of the ingredients for one scrub in a large bowl.  Scoop out into airtight containers.

Use every 2-3 days in the shower.
french-roast agave sugar scrub recipe
[Note: the oil may rise to the top, just stir it up a bit before using.]

Sources:
sugars & agave: Wholesome Sweeteners (this is *not* a sponsored post)
oils: grocery store
jars: Container Store
tags: Container Store
twine: I cannot remember ;)

3 agave sugar scrub recipes: french roast, ginger, and orange spice
Happy exfoliating!!!

21 comments:

  1. Ohhh, a coffee scrub. I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot decide if it looks yummy or relaxing...I have the same spool of string, purchased from KAF, so that is my guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I LOOOOVE sugar scrubs. I usually do an olive oil and sugar scrub,its amazing! Love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweeeeet! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try some of these!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make these so bad! There is nothing I love more than the feeling of my soft skin after a good exfoliation! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for helping us start the new year with smooth, soft skin! The flavors all sound great and the jars are beautiful. Is there a safety concern using a glass container in the shower? Any nice plastic containers you would suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! I bought my daughter some all natural, yummy-smelling scrubs on Etsy, (where my shop is), but then after she had made one of her own, I wondered why I never thought of this! Fantastic! Thanks so much! Nancy (Snowflakelady)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun scrub and so much better sounding than the store bought ones which have weird sounding ingredients! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yey! I made a baking soda scrub lately and it works. I am happy to try out more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to start treating myself in the shower; these look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much, Bridget.. I can't even tell you! I was just thinking that I needed to make a new sugar scrub because I got a divine shea butter cream that would be even better after a scrub. I can't wait to try the French roast scrub!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds heavenly...I love citrus, so the Orange Spice appeals to me! I also have the same spool of baker's twine, and I got mine from Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all sugar based skin products. If your want to know how to tighten skin just use something sugar based.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, dumb question.. Do you use coffee grounds from the package, or after making coffee? One of my favourite smells is coffee... I could pack a little container with me everywhere, and smell it... Childhood memories! �� Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question! I feel like you could use grounds from after making coffee, but I think fresh ones smell a little better. I actually used coffee beans that I ground in the food processor. I don't think you can go wrong doing it either way. :)

      Delete
  15. I've never been tempted to make my own sugar scrubs . . . until now! The question is, which one do I start with? The French Roast might have the added benefit of leaching caffeine into my system, so I think I'll try it first. Thanks for these amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover