Friday, January 4, 2013

Cocoa-Oat-Peanut Butter Cookies

Really, you might as well call these health food cookies.  I know, we all pledged to "eat better" in 2013, and I'm here to help you out.
cocoa oat pb split
Chocolate: anti-oxidants
Oats: fiber
Peanut Butter: protein

cocoa oat pb one rack
I even threw in a little white whole wheat flour, but you can totally use all all-purpose, if you don't want to make them super-healthy like I did.

Not too peanut-y, not too oat-y, just right.

print recipe
Cocoa-Oat-Peanut Butter Cookies
{adapted from Midwest Living, makes a bunch!}

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour (not regular whole wheat)
2 cups rolled oats
3 TBSP natural cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 & 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until combined.
cocoa oat pb whip

Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated, scraping down the bowl as necessary.  In 3 additions, add the flour mixture on low speed, just until combined.  Stir in the chips.

cocoa oat pb batter
(You're going to end up with a LOT of dough!)

Drop the dough by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheets and bake about 12-14 minutes.  Removed from oven and let sit on the cookie sheets for 1 minute.  Remove from wire rack to cool completely.

Make some cookies now and freeze some dough for later.  Wrap well and freeze up to 6 months.  Thaw in the refrigerator and bake as directed.

cocoa oat pb right split
Eating healthy for 2013; I've gotcha covered.

36 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting some health food. ;)
    Chocolate should be in it's oven food group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome. And yes, totally healthy to keep me on track :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygawd. You've found me in cookie form! They look beautiful & delicious. Thanks for posting them on a Friday...I'll have plenty of time to bake and eat these this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look and sound of these. I really like the idea of adding a little bit of cocoa powder to the cookie dough (need to file that idea away). Plus, I like white whole wheat flour...the same benefits as regular whole wheat flour but a much milder result. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I looked all over for that issue of midwest living after i visited and could never find it. BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um those are totally healthy, you should eat at least 3 a day;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness you are here to keep me on the healthy eating track for this year. These cookies are the perfect way to get me off and running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are one smart woman, since they are so healthy I'll take 10:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite kinds of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bowl full of dough makes me smile - and now I want to make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my ... Im droooling right about now ... these look ahmazingly healthy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peanut butter, oats, and chocolate - my 3 fave ingredients to pair! I love the looks of these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look really lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love these! All of my favorite ingredients in one cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. See now, this is healthy, my kind of healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad to see that you and I have made the same resolution this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kind of healthy Girly!
    These look divine!
    Wish a had a few right this moment!
    Happy Healthy 2013!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply fabulous my dear!! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. these look great! i always love using half salted butter and half unsalted butter in my cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this looks Wonderful!
    Hope you had a fun New Years...
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are delicious. Have some more in the oven now and some dough in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look great. This is my kind of health food.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's no getting around it... peanut butter and chocolate is the food of the gods. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmm...these could be great breakfast cookies!! Heathy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yum, these cookies sound wonderful and I like your idea of protein, fiber and antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a healthy food that my kids will also love!I would love for you to link up this recipe to my linky party, my readers will LOVE this recipe!! http://www.fivelittlechefs.com/2013/01/fantastic-thursday-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! Pinning now! Am totally intrigued by this unique take on common (and delicious) ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I halved the recipe and I have the perfect amount of cookies for my husband and I to snack on for a few days + some to take to my dad! Great recipe, I sprinkled a little salt flake on top of mine before baking. One note, the color of my cookies aren't quite as pretty. I used a natural cocoa/dutch cocoa blend, because that is all I had on hand, so maybe that's why? I also didn't have the white whole wheat, so I just went with the all purpose. My batter was kind of greyish and they baked to kind of a muddy color. I don't care because they taste awesome...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Talk about a healthy cookie. You said that you make them 1 rounded tablespoon, so they are probably around 1.5 ounces. So at 1.5 ounces these cookies are 193.67 calories a piece. Not only that, but 6 grams of saturated fat. 6 grams of saturated fat is 30% of the average adult's daily value, FROM ONE OF YOUR COOKIES. As for the oats contributing fiber, the cookie comes in at 1.6 grams of dietary fiber, which is barely significant. Please, if you're ever going to claim something is healthy, truly mean it. There are people that would actually believe that this is healthy, when it is obviously not.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover