Friday, December 21, 2012

Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
I love simple, don't you?  I'll be honest here.  Sometimes outlining and flooding and bagging and be-ribboning and boxing and delivering takes more hours than I have time.

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
Sometimes, simple wins.  Whether you have a schedule of Christmas plays and parties, all of your Christmas shopping still to do, or given recent events, you'd just rather spend that time loving on your family...cute Christmas cut-outs are still attainable, and easy.

First, you'll need gingerbread cookies.  A thick, spicy, chewy gingerbread cookie is just perfect for a simple outline design.

This is the recipe I created for the bookI love it.  I think you will, too.  I've copied the page right from the book for you here:
my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350

Now for the easy decorating...whip up a batch of royal icing and you're ready to go.  I tinted just a bit of it with AmeriColor gold for the star on the tree, but you could certainly do all-white here.  Or use a star sprinkle, or a tree cutter without a star on top...even easier.

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
Use a #2 tip to outline and fill in a star on the top.

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
Use a #2 tip to outline the tree.

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
For the holly, I used a #2 tip for the leaf and a #5 tip for the berries.

Easy peasy.

The next day, or after they have dried completely, feel free to add a little sparkle and shine.

my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
On the trees, I added a little gold luster dust to the stars.  Just mix the luster with a bit of vodka and brush it on.  Don't worry, the vodka evaporates.

For the holly, mix a 1/4 teaspoon meringue powder with 1/4 teaspoon water and brush the mixture wherever you'd like sparkling sugar to stick.  Sprinkle on the sanding sugar and brush off the excess. Or, leave them plain.
my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe + simple ideas for decorating. ::: Simple Decorated Gingerbread Cookies @bakeat350
This pretty sparkling sugar is from King Arthur Flour. 

If you haven't made gingerbread cookies yet this season, it's time.  
Seriously.  Go do it.  Simple or fancy...you won't be sorry.


23 comments:

  1. Simply wonderful Bridget! Just like your book.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. May you all have a blessed holiday. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made you're gingerbread recipe last weekend and oh my gosh everyone just raved about them. I've never made homemade gingerbread before but knew i couldn't go wrong with you're recipe...you're book saves the day again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I need some of that SPARKLING SUGAR in my life!
    I think I'm going to ask G if he will call me SPARKLING SUGAR for the rest of my life!
    Or maybe instead of SPRINKLES I'll have my name officially changed to SPARKLING SUGAR! ;)
    These Gingerbread Cookies are gorgeous!
    And you know I luuuuuuuuuuv this recipe!
    How cool is that copying the page right out of the book! You're so SWEET! ;)
    Now let's get down to business and TALK ABOUT THAT VINTAGE CHRISTMAS TABLECLOTH!!!!!
    Wishing you and Kiddo and Mr. E and Spike and Bluebell the BEST Christmas ever!
    Happy HOlidays Sweetie!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wanted to try making these this year, but no time it seems:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I STILL haven't made my gingerbread cookies this year. For shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the simplicity of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are beautiful! I can almost taste and smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, just thought I would let you know that I made your vanilla/almond cookies and your gingerbread cookies today. A double batch of each. We are a drier and colder climate here in Calgary. I found I had to put my scraps of dough back into the mixer and added a dab more butter for the vanilla/almond ones. For the gb cookies I held back a bit of flour. In spite of messing with your recipes the cookies were wonderful. Baked just beautifully! Here's hoping I can decorate even a little like you do. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. So simple yet so beautiful. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be the testament that I have tried Bridget's gingerbread and it is farking AMAZING!!!! nuf said...m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I have been meaning to ask you...your printing on your cookies is always so well done, I love your hint about starting in the middle, that is just epic, but I was wondering do you have any place on the blog where your have the font printed out, you know the whole alphabet? I <3 LOVE <3 your lower case work...thanking you in advance...m

      Delete
  11. Isn't that wonderful how I simple design can turn out beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good! I just made some gingerbread today too. Don't you just love it when your house smells like gingerbread? >.<

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Those cookies look delicious! They would be a great addition to my Must Try Recipes. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this recipe is great! not too sweet, held shape beautifully, thanks for sharing - you inspired simple snowflake gingerbreads and they were a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look beautiful and really help clarify what I used to think was a complicated recipe. Thanks for sharing. I love gingerbread cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. I have come across your recipe and made the dough. I have just tried to roll it out but it is very soft and sticks to the pin and the surface despite much flour present. The dough just seems too soft...What can I do to save it? Help, please...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The vanilla-almond cookies are my go to for just about everything. I just made the gingerbread but they were very crumbly. Not sure what I did wrong?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover