Sunday, December 30, 2012

Salame al Cioccolato (that's chocolate salami to you & me)

DO NOT PANIC.  THERE IS NO MEAT IN THIS SALAMI. 
{Whew.  OK...I didn't want you to freak out there.}

Do you ever buy a cookbook and it's so beautiful and so full of gorgeous sounding recipes that you read it again and again, but wait a year before you make anything from it?  Just me?  Well, that's what happened when I received Dolci: Italy's Sweets by Francine Segan last year.  I fell in love with it, but never actually tried a recipe.  Until yesterday.

Chocolate Salami...seriously, how cute is that?!?  How fun would this be at a party?

Let me tell you what's in chocolate salami: cookies, chocolate, butter, nuts, espresso.  Done.

I mean, chopped up cookies mixed with chocolate and butter?!?!?!?  
We've been waiting for this recipe our entire lives, right?

Oh!  Big disclaimer here: please disregard the crunchy crostini in my picture.  I thought I would be all fancy and toast up a baguette.  Wrong.  You want to spread this on soft bread.  It can be a baguette....just don't toast it.

I used these Scottie shortbread cookies.  Yes, I felt terrible chopping them up.


Chocolate Salami
{adapted from Dolci}

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces butter cookies, chopped (I used Walker's Butter Shortbread)
4 heaping TBSP coarsely chopped pistachios (I used roasted & salted)
1 TBSP brewed espresso
Powdered sugar

In a microwave, melt the chocolate at 50% power in 30-second intervals (or in a bowl over simmering water), stirring after each, until melted.  Set aside to cool.

Beat the butter until smooth and creamy.

Stir in the chocolate, cookies, nuts and espresso until well combined.  Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a salami shape...about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.  Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.

Remove from the plastic wrap and roll in powdered sugar.  Re-wrap in parchment and tie with twine for presentation.  Cut into thin slices with a serrated knife and use a butter knife or spreader to smoosh into untoasted baguette slices, or other soft bread.

Chocolate Salami...it's a thing, y'all.


28 comments:

  1. That photo up top is so enticing...I love it! This is the best no-bake cookie! I make it with candied fruit slices. NOM! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those scottie cookies are the cutest! :-) And what an interesting idea! Chocolate Salami! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness there's no salami in your salami. Cookies and nuts, I can do :)
    AND I do that all the time with cookbooks.
    This is definitely a reason to break the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your salame looks delicious!!
    I love it as it0s so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Those poor doggies!

    I'm always torn with chocolate salami. I think salami is just nasty, but this is not nasty. It sounds delicious. But the fat specks... I'm torn. Maybe if I rolled them into balls? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Those shortbreads are adorable. I can't believe you chopped them into a salami roll. ;) I love pistachios, so this needs to find a way to my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Neat poѕt. There іs a рrοblem аlοng with уour web sitе in internet
    explοreг, mаy teѕt thіs?
    ΙE nοnetheleѕs is the mаrκetplаce chiеf and a laгge component
    of other peοple ωill miss your excellent writіng bеcause of this
    problem.
    Also visit my site - http://carsautoauction.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a crazy -- but inspired -- idea!

    xx
    Sweet Tooth
    http://www.thesweettoothbaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute! I've seen recipes like this, tied up with string to look like the echt salami. Gorgeous, great for a gift, and essentially a log of truffle. Yes on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just too clever for words. I love a no meat salami! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on Instagram and was (Im)patiently waiting for it. I must make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm already liking this 'salami'. lol... Have a Happy New Year, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well being Italian I have to say that recipe is just ingenious...that is a saver for sure, what a different dessert...Happy New Year Bridget to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  14. no matter how many times I see this is still freaks me out, but it sounds so good, I am so torn lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excuse me!
    You made this!
    Like you rolled it in powdered sugar and everything!
    I'm speechless!
    We need to go to Italy!
    xo
    And I want that crusty bread asap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heart you so much for making chocolate salami.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW. Just wow.

    ....And I do the exact same thing with recipes. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this recipe, my mum has made this for a long time but she cuts it into squares.. then she drizzles even more chocolate on top. Love it, now I'm hankering for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow--it SO looks so salami! What an awesome idea. Happy new year Bridget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very creative! I would so love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, my mom used to make chocolate salami when I was little. I thought only Russian people make it ;) It was my favorite treat!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is adorable. I'll have to keep this in mind for food gifts next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg..Can I repost this with proper credits in my blog ? I am sort of working on a post about how food gifts are more appreciated as we get older..oops...better..not older...better !

    Waving from Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Could it really get any better than chocolate salami?

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband and I host a Chocolate, Cheese and Wine party every year. This will be just perfect to share!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow - how easy and fabulous. I will make this for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  27. My husband's family is Italian. We went over to visit his brother and my sister-in-law made this for us. So rich! So chocolatey! She gave me her recipe, which had raw egg and metric units. :( But finally, A recipe for me here in the USA! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover