Monday, November 12, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

I know I've been bossy lately..."you must make this," "you have to make that."
(My sister tells me I'm really good at bossy.)

OK, but y'all...YOU.MUST.MAKE.THESE.  Like this instant.  Throw a trench over your pj's, pull your hair back into a ponytail, swipe on some lipstick and mascara, and RUN to the grocery store for these ingredients.
{That running will make you feel less guilty when you eat 3 of these in one sitting.}

I apologize for the lack of pictures.  You know how I love 27 pictures of every recipe.  I made these while it was still dark outside so Mr. E could take them to work.  I intended to send the entire tray, but Mr. E in all of his wisdom said, "let me take half, so we'll have some to eat at home."  I love that guy.

{I managed to snap this with my phone before cutting and sending them on their way.}

The brownies are rich.  They are luscious.  They are decadent.  I'd be willing to bet that people who say they don't like pumpkin would love these...they're more cheesecake than pumpkin.
Let's get to it...

Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

for the cheesecake layer:
2 (8 oz.) packages (full-fat, people) cream cheese, at room temp.
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup (regular, not light) sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork

for the brownies:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup Dutch-process cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 TBSP vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (such as Hershey's Special Dark)

Preheat oven to 325.  Lightly grease a 9x13" pan.  Set aside.

make the cheesecake mixture:
With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until no lumps remain.  Add in the pumpkin, sugar, vanilla and spices, beat until smooth.

On low speed, add in the sour cream and eggs until well combined.  Set aside.

make the brownies:
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.  Add the sugar and stir over low heat until combined and hot, not bubbly.  You'll only need to heat it for a couple of minutes, until the mixture looks shiny.

Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and vanilla.  Whisk in the eggs until smooth.  Stir in the flour.

Pour about 3/4 of the brownie mixture into the prepared pan.  Spread with an offset spatula.  Pour the cheesecake batter over the brownie layer and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Drop the remaining brownie batter on top of the cheesecake layer.  Use the offset spatula to swirl the brownie dollops into the cheesecake making a pretty, abstract pattern.

Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.

Bake for 35 minutes or so, until the cheesecake layer is set.  Let cool completely on a wire rack, then chill and store in the refrigerator.  A bench scraper makes a great tool for cutting them.

{Brownie layer adapted from King Arthur Cookie Companion}

Here's a comment from one of the guys Mr. E works with:
"If my girlfriend made these, I might have to buy an engagement ring."  
Single ladies...let me know if it works.

Also, if you love the idea pumpkin and brownies, please check out these recipes from Picky Palate & Cookies and Cups!
♥Pumpkin + Brownies forever!!!♥

58 comments:

  1. Bridget this is one of the most awesome looking creations I've seen in awhile. Pumpkin + cheesecake + brownies. The photos are stunning - the stark contrast of the layers, combined with the blue gingham, they just pop. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heavens these look good. Love those big chocolate chips too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need a lot of photos to sell this recipe, these bars look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More cheesecake than pumpkin? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dessert! Love Mr. E's co-worker's comment about these brownies. (Send his girlfriend the recipe...quick!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's okay if you are bossy, you are only looking out for our best interests;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, let's see if the guy's girlfriend makes them and winds up with a ring on her finger.

    These look like and sound just plain dangerously delicious! YUMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're right, I need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You?? Bossy??? NEVER!!!

    But you have a right to be with these...they look unreal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like when you post these kind of recipes and are bossy, xoxoxo, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much sugar. In the brownie part?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these look fabulous!! I think they'd make a perfect Thanksgiving dessert, a bit traditional with the pumpkin and a crowd pleaser with brownies. I mean who doesn't love brownies?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are brilliant and delicious and I think the other half should be sent to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooww love it ! & i love the quality of the pictures ! congrate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I don't think I have ever seen anything more beautiful than that chocolate swirl!! *drooooool*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh hello. One pan for me, no pan for you? Kthanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd even do lunges in line at the grocery store for these! My poor hubby. Sometimes I can be mortifying...But seriously, these are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you can boss me around anytime if it means I get those brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a yummy looking sweet treat! I think I'll have to make these for my next office work party! I already bet they'll be the star of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness. Even your phone pics are beautiful. These look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderfully yummy. A real treat indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When you say "pumpkin puree", can we substitute an equal amount of canned pumpkin? Cause... I don't really like pumpkin, so the closest I get is the canned stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those do look pretty damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolute perfection!
    Beautiful pictures too!
    Love the idea of pjs and lipstick...and a trench!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would LOVE to sneak these in as a Thanksgiving dinner favor!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH man--where's my trench coat, I'm going to the store asap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bridget! Oh my gosh I am SO EXCITED. Ok, so every year for Thanksgiving I make Paula Deen's pumpkin cheesecake. It's been a huge hit and a family favorite, but this year I wanted something new. You JUST gave it to me! Thank you! I just bought all the ingredients for it yesterday and I'll be making it soon. I am very excited to see how these taste!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks good enough to eat. It makes me feel hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look amazing! I love the combination of pumpkin and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy heck these are worth a trench over the PJ's trip to the store. Whoa!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look so beautiful !! I'd love to try them .. and the pictures are fabulous ..
    Please check my blog too for Fusion food & Desserts: www.kayshouseoftreats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think these are perfect pumpkin anything, Bridget! I have my ponytail up and ready to make these babies. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I made these today and they were SO good. I even blogged about them! Thanks for sharing the recipe :) http://iniminisweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never been a big cheesecake fan but these look awesome! I'm a sucker for the pumpkin/chocolate combo -- you don't see it all too often, but it's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Whoa, lady. These do look dangerously good!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your pictures and 'things' are always THE BEST!!!!!! I just had to make these today, and,....... I DID! I put them on my recipe blog, but gave YOU the credit at the bottom. Thank you for the HIT they were!!! My 'baby steps' family kind of recipe blog is at: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Earn Money on Without Investment, Get Free Online Jobs and Work From home.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I made them! They are so delicious, but my lack of cheesecake experience made them very hard to cut. I think my oven is a little different so I don't think the cheesecake set like it should have. Anyway, we ate them despite them cutting a little messy and we thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My gluten free, cheesecake loving' man will love these while everyone else will have pumpkin pie. Then again maybe I should make a double batch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to sub in Trader Joe's GF brownie mix instead of the brownie part of the recipe.

      Delete
  40. That is a strange combination but it looks so good. I will make it this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yummm it looks delicious! Interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Free Bollywood hot News, Bollywood Top Hot Actress and Hot Desi Girls Beautiful hot Pictures.
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just made these - first time for cheesecake/brownies from scratch. Verdict: delicious. I'm taking these to my book club tomorrow morning. Thank you for sharing! mb in Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete
  44. I admire what you have done here.I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this
    is working for you as well.


    private tutor

    ReplyDelete
  45. will be making this for my friends' party.=) i love your blog. your creativity never fails to amaze me=)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just made this the other day and they taste delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  47. So I'm trying to bake these brownies right now. They have been in the oven for almost an hour and still aren't done. I followed the recipe exactly and my oven was pre-heated. Anyone else have a problem getting them to cook?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover