Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Brown Sugar and Spice (and everything nice) Cut-out Cookies

It's seems only fitting that the day I was making sugar & spice (and everything nice) cookies, my sister would call to tell me that she's expecting a GIRL!!!
I have one boy; she has three, so look out, little niece....I see lots of tutus, polka dots, and hair bows in your future.  FINALLY, we can shop in the girls' section at Target!!!

{Please don't misunderstand...I. LOVE. MY. BOY.  I am so thankful that God graced me with a boy. I GIVE THANKS that he is a sweet 13-year-old, not an eye-rolling, surly 13-year-old like his mother was. *ahem*  But the shopping!  I've missed coordinating outfits.  It seems that all clothing manufacturers have decided that once a boy wears a size 7, he becomes a skater, or obsessed with skulls.  Aaaaand, boys clothes don't typically have dots and matching tights.}

Shall we talk about cookies?  I love, love, love these cookies.  They're a little softer than a typical sugar cookie because of the brown sugar...and the spice just makes them perfect for fall.  If you find gingerbread overpowering, try these.


Brown Sugar and Spice Cookies

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use sugar that I've stored vanilla beans in)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
2 sticks salted butter, cut into chunks
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and spices, set aside.

Cream the sugars and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix until well-blended.

Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom. (The dough will be quite thick...you may need to knead in stray bits of flour from the bottom of the bowl by hand.)
Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4" and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cutter. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Decorate as desired.

These cookies were decorated using images printed on frosting sheets.  The "give thanks" came from a sheet of stickers, so I scanned the entire sheet and printed them with my icing printer.

Here's everything I used:
  • images printed on frosting sheets : frosting sheets from Icing Images (nice, thick sheets...I like them)
  • royal icing, part thinned slightly and applied to the cookie as a base for the image; the other part tinted with AmeriColor Gold
  • coupler, #15 star tip, and disposable icing bag for piping the border
  • hologram gold disco dust

Sugar & spice and everything nice...
that's what little (and big) girls are made of!

32 comments:

  1. Congrats on your neice in the way, Bridget! I just had the opposite happen...
    I have 4 nieces and my sis called to tell me she's expecting a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely that your sister, your family is going to be blessed with another baby and so sweet that it's a girl! Shopping for boy's clothes is fun but shopping for girl's clothes is even more so. Not just because the outfits are so cute but because there are so many adorable accessories to go with them!!
    I love the look of these cookies. The gold disco dust was a very pretty finishing touch. The recipe sounds great too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous, Bridget! What a wonderful phone call! A girl!!! You'll be the best aunt to a little girl evah! Well, to any child really, but a girl? Oh my she'll be spoiled to death!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies look beautiful! I'll have to substitue the nutmeg with more cinnamon because my hubby can't stand nutmeg (sigh). You'll love shopping for your niece when she arrives. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful recipe and presentation. And congratulations on the niece! We're about to get a new niece in January and couldn't be more excited. The glitter on these cookies is the perfect way to celebrate a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are amazing! wish i had time to whip these up before heading out of town for thanksgiving! and congrats on your little niece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so pretty. Thanks for the tip on these cookies being an alternative to the gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my boy too, but what I wouldn't give to be able to buy hair bows and such.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jope que chulas tes han quedado, me encantan
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful. And the ingredients sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! My 12 year old is the least skater-y kid you could meet, yet he dresses like one because there aren't too many other options! So annoying.

    Congrats on the niece. Hair bows and sparkles are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Bridget! Happy Thanksgiving<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats it's so exciting. Boys are really fun, but girls are really fun to shop for!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies are so beautiful and with a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the black & white (chalkboard) look of the message!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it so true about the skaters and skulls clothes for boys!? Congratulations on becoming a soon-to-be Auntie to a baby girl! So exciting! And these cookies? You are one talented chica! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. The glittery wreath effect is perfect for Thanksgiving (and can be tweaked for Christmas)! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are SO SO pretty. Not that I don't love cute cookies (I absolutely do) but I really like how "grown up" these are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look too pretty to eat, but I think I could be persuaded ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so in love with these cookies, Bridget! They are totally getting me into the holiday spirit! I will definitely try this recipe out too! I love softer cookies that have brown sugar in them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these beautifully unique cookies! And Congratulations to your sister..and you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are both simple and stunning--just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha funny you mentioned "skater". My son told me at 11 he was an athlete not a skater so no skinny jeans for him! LOL Your cookies are stunning, makes me really want an edible image printer! Hello Santa, do you here me!! Congrats on your new niece to be, hello glitter, pink & nailpolish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are beautiful cookies! I was blessed with a daughter after two boys and I still love shopping for pink outfits! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Thanksgiving Bridget!

    You crack me up with the comment about skulls. Ha!!

    Congrats on a baby girl to shop for! So fun!

    ps. love these cookies, they are too pretty to eat (I'm sure you hear that a lot). :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful news that you are expecting a niece! These cookies look wonderful at first I thought they were little cake towers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to be able to find good information from your blog articles.
    Also see my site > topografía

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am planning on making some character cookies for my niece for Christmas. I think gingerbread might be a bit strong for her (& me :P) so I think I'll use this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hot Entertainment News, Bollywood Hot News, Pakistani Girls and Latest Hot Girls Pictures.
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What!
    Molly is preggers with a GIRL for you to spoil!!!!!
    So happy for you all! Congrats and lots of PINK love being sent your way!
    These cookies are dreamy.
    That fancy gold sprinkle dust puts these over the moon!
    I know this cookie dough is so good with the spices and brown sugar.
    Did you serve these on Thanksgiving Day? I would have made a wish on mine!
    Love these cookies and I am SOOOOOOOOO happy for your family!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a blessing! You'll get to be the cool aunt that buys her cute clothes and makes adorable cookies. I know she'll think the world of you, because I have an aunt that was very supportive, and I still think she's Snow White come to life.
    And I'm glad I didn't see this recipe earlier, because I would have made one trillion of them this fall and would have to buy new jeans in bigger sizes. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover