Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hint o' Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that there are any cookies to show you today.  I kind of inhaled a good portion of the cookie dough before baking it.
{I think I'm having back-from-Seattle-vacation withdrawals...that's my excuse anyway.}

So, I spied these mint dark chocolate m&m's at my grocery store, immediately snagged them, and tucked them away for St. Patrick's Day.  But, don't limit yourself to St. Patrick's Day, these are really perfect anytime...plus, with the mint, your cookie doubles as breath freshener.


The cookies are BIG and thin, so they might look crispy....they're not.  They're soft and bendy, and utterly delicious.

Then, if you want to get a little crazy....you do, right?  Break out the mint chocolate chip ice cream and make yourself a minty ice cream sandwich.

{I made this one for Mr. E.  See...when we were in Seattle, Teresa made this glorious chicken pot pie...I know he's still dreaming of it.  I'm trying to remind him that I can spoil him, too.} ;)


Hint o' Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

ingredients:
2 & 1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
8 ounces mint dark chocolate m&m's (you won't use them all)

instructions:
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Preheat oven to 325.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

Beat the butter and sugars together until combined and fluffy.  Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating between additions and scraping down the bowl as necessary.  Beat in the vanilla.  Add the flour on low in three additions, just until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, or a spoon, scoop out about 2 TBSP of dough per cookie, leaving at least 2" of space between cookies.  Press in 5-6 m&m's on the top.

Bake for 12-14 minutes...the side will look done and the middles will still be soft.  Cool on the tray for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

If desired, sandwich around mint chocolate chip ice cream.

36 comments:

  1. Oooooo, these look like perfect cookies! And how cute with the green M&M's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! so cute & clever.

    xoxo
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound fabulous...especially with ice cream in the middle!!!

    And now I'm dreaming about that pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this so makes me want to live in the states, we never get the cool M&M's here:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect cookies for St. Paddy's day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do sound like the perfect cookie...especially with ice cream!!! I saw those m&m's a while ago and now I am kicking myself for not buying them because I can't find them anywhere:-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are perfect for St Patrick's Day! And using them to make minty ice cream sandwiches? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Those Mint M&M's are so good!! I got some a few weeks ago to make these:
    http://cookincowgirl.blogspot.com/2012/03/dark-chocolate-mint-pretzel-kisses-for.html

    Your cookies look divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies sound fantastic, but in ice cream sandwich form... oh my! Time to hunt down those M&Ms!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so yummy! I love chocolate and mint and I love a good, crispy chocolate chip cookie. Great recipe, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love chocolate mint and chocolate chip COOKIES... this sounds GOOD to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG how I miss Blue Bell ice cream!!!!! I grew up eating it and then couldn't find it once I moved out of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ive had my eye on those M & Ms but have never picked them up. Now you have me convinced they are a must-purchase item. GREAT lookin' cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a thin, bendy, chocolate chip cookie myself. Adding the M&M's and creating an ice cream sandwich...great idea, especially with the ice cream you chose. Glad you had a great time in Seattle and with Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's kinda mean how you show off with your Blue Bell.
    Really, Bridget, I thought we were friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon down....we'll have a Blue Bell party! :)

      Delete
  16. these look awesome then you went and stuffed it with my fav ice cream. fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything about this post! The cookies look DELICIOUS!! The photos are beautiful. ADDING ICE CREAM? SUCH a fantastic idea!!! And the fact that it doubles as a breath mint? How could a girl say no?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yum! I kind of want to try this recipe with with Junior Mints... Off to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my! can you pack one in a cooler to bring over tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ice cream sandwiches for these cookies is such a great idea! A double dose of chocolate and mint! I know what you mean about cookie dough:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so good! I'm still thinking about my trip to Brewster's a couple of weeks ago when they were out of my mint chip ice cream! ..and it doesn't hurt that these double as breath fresheners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i wish we got mint M&M's here in Canada! not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just made these and they are DELICIOUS! My class is going to be happy tomorrow! :)
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is complete mint choc chip heaven! I don't think we get mint M&Ms in the UK which makes me kind of sad...going to see if I can order some online now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never seen mint M&Ms in the UK but YUM! Love mint everything. And cookies and ice cream? Excuse me I'm off to stuff my face to attempt to get rid this craving!

    Amanda | http://notsocavalier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I'd like to order, oh, say 5 dozen. Maybe 6?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww am drooling. The icecream sandwich is so tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm, I want to eat these *right now*! They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Send some over to my place please ;)

    "Happy Cooking"

    ReplyDelete
  30. these look great. here's another mint cookie: http://2brokebakers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't think these could be any better til I scrolled down and saw you'd made them into ice cream sandies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover